Monday, August 2, 2010

Comida Mexicana

Translation: Mexican Food


Once upon a time there were four lovely couples. They met at their local church and found that each family consisted of a mom, a dad, and a baby boy. The four families became fast friends!

About three years later, each family had a new addition--another baby boy! Which makes four families with four sets of brothers. These brothers grew up together and became known as The Boys. Among the four families there are many more siblings that are wonderful and loved, but the bond of the first eight boys is something that very few people have in their lives.

If you haven't guessed, my husband is one of The Boys. And I am what has become known as one of The Wives. And this past weekend, up at the Ranch, my husband's family threw a huge Mexican BBQ for all of the four families. It was a day of fantastic food and fabulous friendship.

We feasted on the world's most delicious tamales, previously recorded here. I'm so grateful for the amazing kids and parents I get to work with!

We made sopes, a deliciously fat corn tortilla filled with refried beans, cheese, and topped with cilantro...

Of course there was plenty of carne asada...

And an assortment of rice and beans to go with it!

The Ranch looked so amazing that I'm going to dedicate an entire blog post to the gorgeous flowers and cozy seating areas...but I'll tell you now that everyone enjoyed themselves! It's always fun to catch up with old friends, and even better when you're in a place that's worthy of its own magazine article!

There was, of course, dessert! Along with some cakes for a couple of birthday boys, we made smores and dough gobs! (What is a dough gob, you ask? It's a canned biscuit, wrapped around a stick and roasted to perfection, then filled with butter and jam...or chocolate if you're me or Beanball...)

They were delicious! And the dough gobs were called so many names...from dough bobs to dumb balls...it was cracking me up!


It's so much fun to be a part of this family...

7 comments:

Jodi said...

that sounds amazing and very special!

Beanball said...

YUM! Food was great, and company even better ;-) Thanks for all your help!

Anonymous said...

Fun times!!!

Rachel said...

That's awesome!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Fun fun! Yum, I want some tamales! Hm...I guess I'll have to go to the mercado tomorrow and get some!

Keri's Collage... said...

Looks like a fantastic time! What a beautiful place!
The dough balls look yummy! I might have to try that!