Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Memories


As I was preparing the vegetables for a dinner earlier this week, this lovely mushroom reminded me of a book we had growing up.

I think it was technically Em's book, but I remember reading about the dear little mouse in Oaktree Wood. I remember her little pink apron, dainty tea party invitations, and a storm that rips her umbrella out of her hands! She improvises with a large mushroom (we wouldn't want our little pink apron to get wet), and at some point in the story, she must use the mushroom as a boat to get across a rushing river. Here's a link to the amazon page for the book, Mandy's Umbrella.

Unfortunately, my local library does not carry a copy. I wonder how we ever got our hands on it as kids. Next time I go home, I'll be digging through the bookshelves. :-)

What is one of your favorite picture books from your childhood?

10 comments:

Emily said...

Ooh, I do love that book. Also, Caps for Sale is classic.

And I love your dog.

Molly said...

I have so many favorites! And new favs too! But, one that I LOVED as a kid was "The Little Mouse, The Red, Ripe Strawberry and the BIG HUNGRY BEAR!". I love the little hedgehog books and Skippy Jon Jones books. :)

Shirley said...

I do not recall having ever owned a picture book as a child, nor do I recall reading any. Perhaps that is why I fell in love with childrens' picture books when I had children, and still gather them around me at my ripe old age. The Brambley Hedge series of books by Jill Barklem have absolutely wonderful pictures in them, and remind me of the book you posted about, Mandy's Umbrella.

Jodi said...

Well,
My favorites are the ones the kids love that I don't get too bored reading over and over and over. Levi loves Chica Chica Boom Boom...the alphabet tree. I do have to say that Aunt Shirley has very good taste. We have loved all the books she has given us (though I can't remember all the names right now).

Jodi said...

Well,
My favorites are the ones the kids love that I don't get too bored reading over and over and over. Levi loves Chica Chica Boom Boom...the alphabet tree. I do have to say that Aunt Shirley has very good taste. We have loved all the books she has given us (though I can't remember all the names right now).

Diane said...

Caps for Sale was one of MY childhood favorites also! I don't remember too many picture books, although we had many. The books that I loved reading when I got to chapter book status were all of the Little House books and Mandy, by Julie Andrews. I still have those books...:) And I know right where Mandy's Umbrella is!

Rachel said...

Bread and Jam for Francis!

villagegirl said...

Rachel...I love Francis!
Yes, I'd have to say Frances books and a German book about an ant named Ferdinand. I recall eating alphagettis (gross!) while my mom read to me as a special treat.
I'm the baby of the family, what can I say. :)

Anonymous said...

hey, where have you been lately Bethany? Miss your blogs!

Anonymous said...

hey, where have you been lately Bethany? Miss your blogs!