Thursday, June 25, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Beanball's garden is in full swing. We're on our second round of strawberries, and almost ready for the third. A few days ago I made a delicious (if I may say so myself) strawberry rhubarb pie. If you've got strawberry, rhubarb, and pie crust, you should make one, too!

You'll need 6 cups of fruit...the recipe calls for three and three, but I used two of rhubarb and about four of strawberries.


Then mix some sugar (2 cups) and flour (2/3 cup) and add it to the fruit mixture.

*Is rhubarb a fruit? I'll google it really quick...Um, nope. Vegetable*

Pour the fruit/vegetable/sugar/flour mixture into the bottom pie crust. Please. Thank you. Now "dot" it with butter. A generous tablespoon, if you please. I did.

Now, at this point you could cut a few slits in your top crust, throw it on, and pop the pie in the oven. But I decided to do what I think is a little more fun and adventurous--a lattice crust!

I may or may not have been compensating for a store bought pie crust.

NOW you can pop it in the oven...425 degrees for about 55 minutes. Don't forget to cover the edges with foil and then take the foil off for the last 10 or 15 minutes. While your pie is baking you can wash the dishes, sit and relax, play solitaire in the computer, chase your cat around the house, etc. Whatever you want. Anything. The sky's the limit!

Oooh, it looks pretty! This is the point where I smacked myself in the forehead because I forgot to put the pie plate on a cookie sheet to escape the bubbling over problem. Oh well. What can ya' do?

Mmmm...Thank you Betty Crocker!

6 comments:

Molly said...

Mmm! Looks delish! I just made a rhubarb cake tonight :)

Nancy said...

Beautiful, Beth!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! You have more patience than I when it comes to a lattice crust. My crusts may be ugly but they usually are homemade and yummy. Maybe we should pair up!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! Sorry about the oven :-)

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

MMMM...I JUST had this at a bbq yesterday, it was delicious! And now I have a recipe!!! YAY!! :)

Shirley said...

What a beautiful lattice top! The whole pie looks so pretty!