Monday, June 29, 2009

Calzones

I'm reveling in the time I've had so far this summer to indulge in some of my favorite hobbies! Last week, on our first day of summer vacation, El Maestro and I headed over to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner.

Uncle G. let me help him make his famous calzones. And, of course, I photo-documented the experience so I could share it with you!

The first step was to dice an onion and saute it in olive oil until it was tender. Then we added some soft goat cheese (chevre, I think). When the cheese had just about melted we threw in a bunch of finely chopped fresh basil. Oooooh, did it smell good!





While the onion was cooking, we assembled the other crucial ingredients...stewed tomatoes, aged parmesan, and mozzarella di bufala that was mixed with a little olive oil.



When everything was ready and the chevre was mixed creamily with the onion, my uncle began rolling out the fresh pizza dough.



Then we set up an assembly line. While he rolled out the next piece of dough, I would spread the previously flattened round with a quarter of the onion mixture, then the tomatoes, the mozzarella, and finally the parmesan.




Then one of us would "paint" the edge of the dough with a little bit of egg, and fold the calzone together. Mmm...these were looking good!





We put them in the oven on the pizza stone and waited with hungry hearts...





And they turned out beautifully! We paired them with a delicious salad Auntie M. had prepared along with fresh fruit. With a lovely glass of wine, it was the perfect dinner!


4 comments:

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

I swear you take the very best pictures. You should be the photographer for a cooking magazine.

P.S. I miss cheese...

Nancy said...

Mmmm...I can almost taste it! :O)

Beanball said...

Those look delicious!

Beth said...

Thanks, Jessica. I should mention that el maestro takes many of the pictures I use on the blog...and sometimes we both photograph the same thing, and then can't remember who took the picture I used! Fun!

Umm, and I'm sorry about the cheese. It misses you, too.