Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Design Update

Since January when we painted our bedroom, I've been trying to make it look a little more finished and put together. I've been missing a crucial piece though--nightstands! El maestro had an inspiration and was going to build them...but it hasn't happened yet.

This past weekend when I had the house to myself, I found him a nightstand (compliments of Grandpa V. who gave it to us when he moved), hung some pictures, and tried to see if things were finished.



As you look at this picture, keep a few things in mind...the Tasmanian Devil alarm clock isn't going anywhere. The goal would be to have matching nightstands someday. And if you look at the lamps you'll see that they don't match each other. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the silver, so I switched my lamp base over to a white one. Which lamp do you like better?

(FYI: the lamps were a little too short when they were just sitting on the bedside tables. Mine is now placed on a stack of Real Simple magazines, and el maestro's in on a stack of Shel Silverstein books. Perhaps close up pictures if you want them later.)

Why doesn't this look finished to me? Is it just because I'm not a real designer? Is it the mismatched nightstands? The lack of curtains? (My white, flowing curtains did not become a reality because I have a cat-child who would most likely try to climb them and rip them to shreds in the process.)

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Emily said...

The silver lamp base, definately. And it does look nice and finished now!

Beanball said...

I like the silver one best, too, though the white is pretty, too. I think it looks beautiful! Of course, matching bedstans would finish it off completely, but I like this!

Anonymous said...

My vote is with the silver as well.The pictures look wonderful and flowwy (sp?) white curtains are overrated! It all looks tranquil.

Nancy said...

I vote for the silver. How about a valance type of "window treatment".....I hate that phrase....for the window? I don't think Kitty could jump that high and it would add the finishing touch. Too, in my very humble opion, a shot of an unexpected color would help. Maybe a vase of bright flowers or something? I'm totally loving lime green and fushia right now.

Krystle said...

yep yep, silver. and what color are the nightstands going to be again? i think you do need some sort of curtain, maybe just not a fabric that could be easily torn...and i love the unexpected color idea, you know how much i love color! lime green would be amazing, some flowers on your bedside table...yes.