Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fabulous Day!

This morning was the long awaited trip to FLOWER WORLD!!! Each spring/summer for the past three years, my mother-in-law, Beanball, and I have gone to this nursery wonderland! We went as soon as we could this year because the winter/early spring has been fairly oppressive!

We always have a wonderful time. Beanball is an avid gardener! Her yard is huge and full of all kinds of trees, shrubs, and flowers. She has a lovely herb garden off the back porch and a HUGE vegetable garden in the front! She has taken me under her wing as an amateur gardener. She loves to make sure that I have all the plants I need.
At Flower World we loaded our cart full of flowers and herbs! Look at all the gorgeous young plants! We filled up the car to the brim!



These are just mine...Beanball bought even more for her yard. Someday I'll have a real yard to garden in!

I spent a couple of hours last night readying the back patio for all the new flowers! And then I spent a couple of hours today planting all my new treasures!

I can't wait until the plants fill up those pots and bloom! I bought many of my traditional favorites, as well as a few new varieties. They should do well because they're young and healthy...and I used MiracleGro potting soil;)

Here's my herb garden! Only the chives and oregano survived the winter... But now I have a whiskey barrel full of a delicious variety!


The picture is slightly blurry...but you can see the chives in the middle, rosemary, basil, parsley, sage, a little tiny thyme, cilantro, and oregano. And a couple of marigolds to make me feel like I'm warding off any pests that might try to eat my precious herbs!

The most exciting part of the day is the newest addition to my "garden." We found a potted salad garden! Swiss chard, about three kinds of lettuce, spinach, kale, and a cherry tomato plant! I took out the chives that were in this pot and replaced them with some watercress. Usually Beanball has enough lettuce in her garden to last both of us all summer...but now I have some of my very own for those days when I can't get up to the Ranch! Thanks for the early birthday present, Beanball!

I am so happy and filled with hope when I see these beautiful new plants! I'm looking forward to the next two days of forecasted sunshine...everything will take off and start to look right at home here!

4 comments:

Beanball said...

Yes, what a fun day! Now I am off to work today to pay for it :o)

I love that chubby bird!

Anonymous said...

It all looks wonderful and yummy! When we are in our new house, you will have to help me plant an herb "barrel" (Of course, that may not happen until next year!)

Nancy said...

I'm enjoying working in the yard on these beautiful days.....and I love a trip the nursery!

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

This is so exciting! I love it!! This is exactly what my weekend plan is. Thanks for the inspiration!