Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fashionably Late?

Monday was my baby sister's birthday. My BABY sister's 17th birthday. Someone help me, please.
I think she looks like me. What do you think?

How am I suppose to handle the fact that my baby sister is not so much a baby anymore. I mean, she's had her drivers license for over a year now. A year and five days. Oh my gosh...

I remember when she was born. I was almost seven. In first grade. Grandpa came to watch Em and I while mom and dad went to the hospital. She was born with a red face and black hair. I think. It was 17 years ago, after all.

I brought her to first grade for show and tell. She was pretty cute. But I liked her even more as she grew up a little. She was an adorable toddler. Seriously, SO cute. Oh. The cutest.

One Halloween, Em and I realized that she would want to eat our candy if she could. And we realized that sometimes, Mom would let us kids eat a piece if the baby didn't see. So we would ask, "Mom, can I have some C-A-N-D-Y?" My baby sister caught on pretty quickly. Have you ever heard a sweet, squeaky little two year old voice say, "Mommy, can I have some C-A-N-D-Y?" She's been a good speller ever since.

These days my sis spends her time studying (Hello? I told you not to take so many AP and Honors classes!) and singing. She's a member of the prestigious Jazz Choir at her school. Mmhmm. Her voice will put you to sleep. In a good way. I wish I could sing like that.

My baby sister is passionate and adventurous. She spent a couple of weeks in Africa over the summer. Just look at her with her Compassion Child. That's right. My 17 year old sister pays a certain amount of money every month to support this beautiful little girl. (She gets that generosity from her other big sister. As much as I may try I don't have that gift quite so naturally.)

Rumor has it she's heading to Mexico this summer.

Happy birthday, wonderful, beautiful, baby sister. I love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you bethy! (this is actually your baby sister...) i liked this better than any birthday poem scott didnt write-not that i wouldnt have enjoyed it. but i wrote this all lowercased so that scott cannot read it, so its okay. thanks sister!

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

What a sweet tribute to your sister. She is just lovely and I can tell gets tons of those great qualities from you. Happy Birthday! (P.S. I was reading this right when you were readin my blog-crazy!) :)

Emily said...

"Hannah, she's a pretty baby...."

Shirley said...

Yes! She DOES look like you in that photo!!!! And what a wonderful picture of her and her compassionate child!

BTW, be thankful she doesn't mind being called 'baby sister'! Scott's baby sister will kill anyone who ever even thinks to call her that!