Monday, March 30, 2009

Confessions of an Amazon Woman

I am about to divulge my personal experiences and opinions about the Smooth Away hair remover (As Seen on TV). Hair removal is a personal topic...but for the sake of knowledge I will be sharing it with you. In detail. If you do not wish to read about my hair removal...Please stop reading. Thank you.

I opened my Smooth Away box and found a lovely carrying case for all the pieces.


My heart began to pound with anticipation. Was it truly instant? Would it really be pain free?

When I opened it, I was affronted by a bold STOP sign. This made me a little nervous. It didn't look that difficult...why the bold warning?

I read the instructions. The directions were clear. After applying the "flex-crystal hair removal pad" I was suppose to "gently buff the area in circular motions with slight pressure...DO NOT PRESS TOO HARD."
Wait, what? How will I know if I'm pressing too hard? I gave it a try anyway...


The flex-crystals are also known as very very fine sandpaper. Hmmm...

I tried removing the hair on my legs since this is one of the common areas we like to have smooth and hair free. I buffed in circular motions...and buffed....and buffed...and buffed. It worked after a while. And my skin felt really soft. However, each flex-crystal pad was all used up really quickly, it seemed. With one sheet I could only "smooth" from below the knee to the ankle...and it didn't quite last long enough to smooth every inch perfectly.

It took about three sheets of flex-crystals to get my legs smooth...but not completely hair free. And it took about 15 minutes.

Now, I do have a disclaimer...which is what inspired the title of this post. I sometimes refer to myself as 1/3 Amazon Woman. I don't really know what this means...but to me it means that I have very dark, thick hair. I grew up with friends that have blonde hair, fine hair, or were Asian so they have very little body hair! They can all go for a week without shaving...and you'd hardly notice! Then there's me--the girl that has to shave every day if I'm wearing shorts all summer.

This may be a little bit too much information for you...but it influences my verdict.

The Verdict:

This product is not for me. However, women with finer hair may enjoy the ease of buffing away hair and exfoliating with a relatively easy product. The bottom line is that if you've got a shower and a razor...you'll be able to remove your hair more quickly and completely.

At least I'll stop wondering when I see the infomercial...

7 comments:

Nancy said...

darn...I was hoping it would meet or exceed all your expectations.

I guess I'm a bit cynical....my hopes were dashed years ago regarding info-mercials and such when my cousin and I saved for weeks to order the Sea Monkey Family and nothing grew. Nothing. Not to mention learning that they really weren't Sea Monkies but brine shrimp. It was devestating.

Beanball said...

Hilarious blog! You are great! SO this was never meant to be permanent hair removal I take it? Sounds somewhat irritating if one had sensitive skin. Think I'll let age take care of that one.....

Mamapua! I ordered the Sea Monkeys when I was little, and they grew and multiplied! So cute! It wasn't until I was an adult that I found out they were brine shrimp! Popped MY bubble, I'll tell you!

The Claussens said...

Haha... love your blog. And I love the comments about the sea monkeys. :) It makes me smile that other people buy into these things. I'm not alone in the world!

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

They're brine shrimp?!? I missed that. And mine also never grew. I'm jealous, Beanball.

Beanball said...

Wow! Guess I got lucky on that one. Or else in MY day when all these things were new, the makers of them took more pride in their product and insured that the eggs were fresh!

micaela jean said...

gross. I am sorta happy "sea monkeys" were before my time!

Anonymous said...

I love this post...And I have to admit that I was a little dissapointed about the outcome!